Saturday, May 23, 2009

Recommended beginner books

I locked my self out of my house after a speed walk (man I feel like a grandma) workout because that is the only workout permitted with a sling on the arm. Without my keys to the house and a roommate who just left for a round of golf I was hurting for a long afternoon on the porch. Lucky for me my truck was unlocked and it is jimmy rigged to start without a key so I was not completely bored all day by running errands. My errands landed me at Barnes and Noble to look for photography magazines and books. I was rather disappointed at the minimal selection of help books on photography business (NONE TO BE EXACT) but I did find 2 billion books on digital how to's. I wasn't interested in those so I kept looking to see what I wanted to read for a few hours.

I stumbled upon two easy reads for the beginner that broke down key elements of photography with numerous example pictures, short but detailed explanations, and enveloped topics.

The first book is titled "Understanding Exposure: How to shoot great photographs with a film of digital camera. Revised edition" by Bryan Peterson




This book highlights simple techniques on the triangle of photography exposure [ISO (ASA), aperture, and shutter speed] This book will help an amateur or beginner with exposure as not just trusting your camera's automatic settings to achieve proper exposure but rather use your camera's manual setting to achieve a "story picture." If you don't know what the triangle of exposure is or want to start engaging into why some photos are good and others are great this book is for you.

The second book is "Portrait Photography: Secrets of Posing and lighting" by Mark Cleghorn.



I was fond of this book because it gave a beginner or amateur key/fundamental pose and lighting techniques to spark creativity and get the ball rolling in the studio, homes or in nature. The book is set up with a few pages devoted to a specific topic, enough to get one's feet wet with quality information but not too much to bore the beginner who wants to soak up a lot of basic information and dive into each at a later date. I recommend this book for those seeking to the studio aspect of photography rather than the nature or fashion or wedding business.


Both of these books can be found on Amazon.com for a bit cheaper than the bookshelf price and they should ship quickly.


If you have suggestions on books you have found for the beginner or other literature that is helpful leave a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment