Sunday, May 31, 2009

Photography Small Group - Manna Church


Welcome to my photography blog! Hope you like my prize winning photo?

My name is Ryan Jackson and I'm not a professional photographer (but my picture definitely says I should be). However, I am passionate about photography and I presume you are as well for viewing this blog.

I am writing this before My Manna Connection occurs so I am sure it was great meeting all of you. If it wasn't great meeting you I just lied to you. However, you'll never know if I didn't like you so just view the first sentence as truth, bury it deep down inside if you feel I didn't like you and move on.

On a more serious note, I spoke with a handful of people about this small group in the past couple of weeks and I am excited there is growing interest at Manna for photography. My intention of this small group is community. I want to build a community of photographers at Manna that can change the world (I'm stealing Manna's quote) through passion and creativity using a shutter, a flick of a finger and love for everyone around us. I love meeting new people, sharing my love of Christ with them and if I can do it with a camera in my hand than praise God even more.

We will be meeting most Saturdays in the morning, before sunset or possibly during the day time. Our meetings will be centered around community but with a specific purpose for each meeting. We will meet to shoot. We will meet to learn editing techniques. We will meet to share pictures. We will meet to share tips and tricks. We will meet to shoot some more. We will meet to learn how to use our cameras. We will meet to share blogs or podcasts or inspirations of photography. We will meet to learn compositional techniques. And we will meet to pray.

Who is invited? Anyone 14 or older with a camera and a desire to dive into photography. Digital cameras are desired for ease of sharing photos but film cameras are great (you will just need to make prints if you want to share your work with the group).

To sign up you need to contact me. Either by phone, email or through this blog.

Tentatively, our first meeting will be June 13th, 9 am at Manna Church. That gives time for those of us who catch more zzz's on Saturday's to hit snooze 8 more times and those who work out early time to check out your bulging muscles in the mirror before we meet. I need to check if we can use a room at that time so check back here for an update on the 13th. If we can't get a room we will meet at JK's deli on McPherson and Raeford for breakfast and photography (maybe we can take pictures of our breakfast) at the same time. I want to meet everyone and talk about our cameras (so bring them.) You can't go into a sports game with out knowing the equipment and plays you are going to be executing and the same logic applies to photography. You need to know your equipment (and basic techniques) to perform well a.k.a. take quality photos.

I look forward to meeting all of you on the 13th and I still think it was great meeting everyone except if you are currently wearing a green shirt. You just smell!

Bless you, check out my other blog entries, leave a comment, and here is another picture that was fun to make. Remember photographers don't take pictures we make them (and I guess I will lay claim to this masterpiece as well)!

-Ryan Jackson-




No comments:

Post a Comment